Among the Hidden
Margaret Peterson Haddix
The Haddix series is packed with adventure and unexpected twists to the story. The main character in these books is Luke Gardener. He lives a life of hiding and dreaming of the world outside. Luke lives in a world where it is illegal to have more then two kids. He feels alone and is unsure if there is anyone illegal like him in the world. Then he finds an illegal friend, Jen.
- This book starts out with showing Luke as a relatively normal kid playing outside (because his family lived in the woods where no one else lived).
- Luke’s mom yells for him to come inside right away.
- The Government came and bulldozed all the woods around Luke’s house down. With very expensive houses for some really rich people.
- With all the Government around Luke could not even be anywhere but his room in the attic.
- Luke watches his new neighbors through a tiny vent in his room.
- He sees something suspicious in the house next door.
- He discovers and interacts with Jen, the illegal child from next door.
- Jen plans a rally to go stop the Government from making third children illegal.
- Jen wants Luke to be apart of the rally, but Luke said that he could not go…he was too scared.
- Jen and forty other illegal kids were shot when they approached the Government building.
- Luke, worried about Jen, decided to try to go to her house and see if she was okay.
- Upon going to Jen’s house, Jen’s dad caught Luke and told him what had happened to Jen.
- Jen’s dad worked undercover within the Population Police. He was able to get Luke a fake I.D. to keep him safe from the bad people that where apart of the Population Police. - EM